Skip to main content

Module 2 Post: ISTE vs. AASL

The ISTE standards are fairly new to me: so much of the focus of the classes so far and my job has been on the AASL standards, so why would I look at other standards? Exploring the ISTE standards this week alongside the AASL standards has been interesting and eye-opening. The crosswalk document was particularly helpful when trying to see how the standards correlate with each other. I noticed quickly how detailed the ISTE standards are compared to AASL standards. I see the ISTE standards being used to help achieve the goals of the AASL standards.

The AASL standards explain the expectations for not only the learner and school librarian, but the space of the school library as well. The ISTE standards focus on the students and educators and the role of technology in learning. It’s important that the entire school works together to ensure students’ success. Spiering states, “the AASL Standards also have the potential to influence the way school librarians foster and support adolescent literacies in school libraries and through the literacy instruction already taking place in the classroom” (2019, p. 46).

 

References

Spiering, J. (2019). Engaging Adolescent Literacies with the Standards. Knowledge Quest, 47(5), 44–49.

Comments

  1. Hi Courtney! I also agree that the crosswalk document was a great help this week. I really feel like these organizations thoughtfully put together a team of people to carefully curate these documents to really assist teachers and librarians. I also love that the AASL and ISTE standards are written for both teachers and librarians. We know exactly what we should be teaching, and we know the outcome that we want for our students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney! I absolutely agree – almost all of my courses have been focused on the AASL standards as well so it took a bit of getting used to in adding another set of standards to the mix. I really like how you stated that the ISTE standards can be used to achieve the goals of the AASL standards, I think that's the perfect way of explaining how they can work hand-in-hand to the benefit of both the student and the librarian. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Makerspaces

I explored a lot of different blogs and sites this week to find one that I wanted to share. I finally found one that encompassed everything our resources this week shared also. EveryLibrary posted Library Makerspaces Spark Creativity on the blogging site Medium. Makerspaces provide students with opportunities to engage in STEAM activities in the library. STEAM stands for science, technology, engineering, art, and math. These activities can be part of a collaboration with the classroom teachers, or stand alone activities in the library. Either way, students will benefit. “On top of the academic benefits that a makerspace provides, students are also trained to build a mindset that revolves around teamwork, problem-solving and innovation” (EveryLibrary, 2022). By students creating, discovering, and even playing, they have the opportunity to learn things more authentically that they would in traditional classroom settings and lessons. ( Hlubinka et al., 2013) The learning in Makerspace...

Module 3: Information Literacy, Media, and Technology

Does anyone else have the little “song” from the Fake News and Media Literacy podcast stuck in their heads? Although it’s not one I can teach to my students, it will definitely help me when I’m analyzing the validity of the content I read, share, believe, and teach.           A theme I noticed within the readings, resources, and podcast this week is the importance of viewing multiple sources about the same topic. Valenza states, “ Even news that is vetted by editors and publishers sometimes emerges from that process a bit  processed,  perhaps leaning in a particular direction” (2016, para 5). Resources that are accurate and reviewed can still be biased.           With the increased access to technology and multiple ways to access information, whether it’s real news or fake news, kids need to be taught how to decide what’s right. I can honestly think it’s hard for me to do this at time...